Saturday 13 October 2012

Actually it's not chicken, it's capon...

When I went to see my lovely butcher for this weekend's Griddle nights, he had a plethora of chicken on display, one of them being 'capon', which of course, I had to try.

Now if you were to see capon in a supermarket, you just wouldn't buy it would you? It's not the most exciting sounding meat. Well, not that you would ever see it in a supermarket...

Googling 'capon' when I got home (the butcher only told me it was a larger, tastier chicken) I read that it is a castrated rooster... this website even describes it as 'boutique!http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-capon.htm apparently it's quite rare (only the best for our diners). The birds are bred for a longer time, so they develop fabulously tasting meat, yum.

And indeed, it is, very very tasty;  our guests got really stuck in. The capon's were poached first and then roasted with a thyme, almond and parmesan crust. So everyone got a good piece of crust, I premade heavily laden parmesan disks to rest on top of the capon before serving. Ugh, I really do hate that word 'capon'. From now on I will refer to it as 'chiquoir', just because I can; this is my blog, I can do what I like.

To give the plate some colour, I also dolloped (no chef smudges here) on some carrot and apple puree - which was lush and not like baby food at all. A sauce of mustard, cream and sage was poured over the chiquoir and diners could help themselves to as much mash and cabbage as they liked.

Oh and finally, we took some pictures... photography is not our forte - it's all about the food at this place.

Here are the two chiquoirs poaching...

 
Almond, thyme and parmesan crust

 
Our brilliant guests (this could be you... book now griddleproject@gmail.com)

 
Waiting for the guests... parsnip crisps and mature cheese pastry nibbles




1 comment:

  1. Pictures are great - I really want to come along to one of these sometime - please let me know/ tweet if you set up a late Nov date.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete